Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Tuesday 18 September 2007

For those born in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s

I read this recently, and thought I would share some of it.......

We survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents . We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speak for yourself!! I still see my psychotherapist twice a week!! And I can't get rid of the twitch in my right eye!!!

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I never really got over the fact that I was one of the few not chosen to be a school prefect ....
(Why do you suppose some bits of this blogsite are written in German? Curious!)

Anonymous said...

I WAS a prefect!

Were you not made one? Awwww!! (Hee, hee)

Anonymous said...

No, I wasn't a prefect and, as I said, I never quite got over that. However, it had it's compensations! Once all exams were over, after morning registration my friend, Susan, and I were free to go down to the seafront for the day - the prefects had to stay at scool and do their 'prefecting'!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you weren't a prefect because you couldn't spell 'school'!! (Only joking!)

I maybe wasn't a very good prefect - cause me and my pal Simeon were always bunking off - all term round!

Why is there German words on your blog??

Anonymous said...

"are there" - before you seek revenge via my grammar!!

Anonymous said...

Since I left school, a spelling mistake has become a 'typo'!

I have no idea why there are German words on my blog. I guess I should let them know.....

lynn said...

It's a good post Sheena. We wrap our kids in cotton wool now. Someone said to me in the unnamed place where I work (to protect the innocent)that she didn't want her child to crawl about as the floor might be dirty.
I was dying to say: germs get everywhere, honey. Just think if your supermarket trolley handles!!

Sheena C said...

Thanks Lynn - it just struck a chord with me. I often wonder if children get wee illnesses so often now because they have not built up resistance - as with the child you mention and the 'dirty' floor!